Friday, November 8, 2013

Teachable Moments

A great advantage to homeschooling is having opportunities for extra teachable moments.
On the drive to take my son to work, I saw a woman, perhaps in her 80's, struggling to rake the leaves in her yard.  After dropping my son off at work, I stopped and asked if we (my daughter and I) could help.

Yes!

I quickly raked up the other half of her yard and filled two huge garbage bags with the leaves. Meanwhile, my 8 y.o.  willingly raked the sidewalk and the dwindling piles.  The woman asked me to stop after the second bag because she didn't have money to pay me.

No, no, no! That wasn't the point!

I told her I appreciated the opportunity to show my daughter that some things we do just because it's the right thing to do. I also told her that I hoped my MIL's neighbor-kids would help her.

All of the above only took 25 minutes - not a significant part of our day.  However, the warmth of having done a random act of kindness is still with us.

Colossians 3: 23-24 "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How nice! I'm glad you could do this, and I understand the hoping someone will do the same for your MIL.