Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Day

Service to our country is a prevalent theme in my family. I have pictures of seven family members who have served, but there are many more I don't have photos for.  For instance, I don't have a military picture of my sister Carolann who retired after 20 years in the Air Force. She died of a syndrome called C.R.E.S.T. in 2003.  My step-brother, Dan Jalbert, just retired from the Air Force last week after 26 years. My brother, Alan Dombrowski served in the Navy. My grandfather, John Montgomery, served in the Boer War for Great Britain. My Grandfather Woodward served during WWII. I have cousins and uncles and probably other family members who I'm forgetting, who also served.

We have to remember that being a member of this country is not free. There is a price. It comes at the cost of our loved ones. Pray for those who are serving. Thank one of them today.

Here is my dad, Neil I. Montgomery. He served in the Army in North Africa and Italy during WWII. He was wounded over there and received the Silver Star for his actions.
 

Here is my brother Richard Montgomery. He served in the Marines for two tours of duty during Vietnam. I don't know what decorations he received, but I do know he didn't wait to be drafted, but volunteered for duty.

Here is my sister, Paula. She spent twenty years in the Air Force and retired as a Technical Sergeant.

Here are my biological father Harding Coolidge Mason and his brother (my uncle) Leslie H. Mason. They both served in the U.S. Navy during WWII. They also both left high school early in order to enlist. My Uncle Leslie died in the war.

Here I am.  I spent five years in the Air Force. I was a E-4 Sergeant when I got out. I trained in Texas and Colorado and I was stationed in Guam, England, and Florida. I did several temporary (short) assignments to Germany.

Here is my little brother, Eric Beauregard. He is currently in the Navy Reserves. He has had a tour of duty in Bahrain in the recent past - among other duty assignments.

There is also a price for our spiritual home. But thankfully, One paid the ultimate price for our eternal freedom: Jesus Christ. He died so that we might live.
John 3:16-17 "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him."

No comments: