Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Diamond Glint on Snow

Back in the 1980's I read a poem in a "Dear Abby" column. I have a copy of the poem next to my biological mother's photo (she died when I was 3 1/2). The poem is by Mary Elizabeth Frye. I've been thinking of the poem since my aunt just passed away - and today I see some "diamond glints on snow". Ms. Frye changed the poem a little, but I like this version:

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there. I did not die.


It's hard to see, but click on the photo and look toward the bottom portion for the "diamond glints on snow".

No comments: