Thursday, December 4, 2008

Holocaust survivor

(I had this post all done but it had an error when I tried to post it - I think this is what I wrote!)

Tonight, 16 y.o. and I went to hear Erika Mandler talk about her experience during the holocaust. There weren't many seats empty in our small-town theater - and she talked for about two hours. I learned some things I didn't know - for instance, I thought all the concentration camps were in Germany. Erika and her family, however were in a work camp in Czechoslovakia. It gave 16 y.o. some things to think about and among other things, it reminded me to be thankful for all the little things in life, like having water and food.

Both my biological father and my adoptive father were in WWII. One was in the Pacific in the Navy and the other was in North Africa and Italy in the Army. My adoptive father received the Silver Star - which relatively few people received. Both fathers are now gone - but definitely not forgotten. I have a long list of family members who proudly served in the military (myself included). Every branch of the military has been represented. I've probably mentioned this before, but my younger brother is currently on a Navy ship off the coast of Somalia. He is a photojournalist in the Navy reserves.

Last night I was able to work on a fiction magazine article. I made some progress but have some more work to do on it before I submit it to my online writing instructor. I hope to submit this article to Brio magazine.

“Therefore Jesus said again, "I tell you the truth, I am the gate for the sheep. I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture. The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”- John 10:7, 9-10

No comments: